New news regarding supposed work visa suspension for Filipinos in Kuwait
The government of the Philippines issued a statement on Wednesday stating that it has not yet received notification from the government of Kuwait regarding the reported suspension of all work and entry permits for Filipinos.
The Department of Migrant Workers has yet to receive any official communication regarding the alleged suspension of visa issuances by the Kuwait government for Filipino workers," DMW spokesperson Toby Nebrida said in a statement that was issued to media on Wednesday. "The Department of Migrant Workers has yet to receive any official communication regarding the alleged suspension of visa issuances by the Kuwait government for Filipino workers."
According to a story from Kuwait Times published on Wednesday, Kuwaiti Interior Minister Sheikh Talal Al-Khaled Al-Sabah issued the suspension order in response to what is believed to be a violation of the bilateral labour agreement between the Philippines and the gulf nation on the part of the Philippines. The report said that Manila "has breached the conditions and provisions" of the deal, and it cited unnamed sources to back up its claim.
According to a separate report that was published by the Gulf Times, the suspension would not be lifted until Manila complies with the terms of the labour accord.
Following the Philippines' decision in 2018 to prevent its citizens from being sent to Kuwait to find work, the nations came to an agreement in 2018 about labour matters. In that same year, the body of Filipino domestic servant Joanna Demafelis was discovered inside the freezer of her employers.
After the death of yet another Filipino domestic worker earlier this year, the DMW has stated that it is giving serious consideration to reevaluating the deal.